Is the Face of Business Changing Forever?
I read a very interesting article recently, in summary it argued that:
- It's now almost impossible to predict what will happen next in business such as which companies will succeed, and what skills will be most valued.
- Previously business had been relatively stable and predictable but we have now entered a chaotic era.
- Things are moving so fast that companies previously at the top of an industry such as Nokia, RIM, Motorola are now dominated by Apple and Samsung in just 5 years.
- Businesses cannot ignore the technological changes that are taking place.
- The only constant will be change itself.
- The new current economy revolves around social and mobile but this may be temporary.
- Tech companies have been affected first but all businesses will be affected soon enough.
- Businesses will rise and fall faster than ever.
- Staff are changing jobs faster and faster than ever before, staying just months before moving on to the next challenge.
- Even the very best businesses need to be changing quickly or they will get overtaken.
- Just as programming has moved from waterfall to agile methodologies, business will need to do the same.
- The sort of changes we will see will be customer focussed i.e. Netflix provided better value to customers than Blockbuster by using new technology to deliver content.
- We're seeing a change on the scale of the industrial revolution which will bring great progress.
- More than 150 years ago, Charles Darwin foreshadowed this era in his description of natural selection: "It is not the strongest of the species that survives; nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change."